Investigate atom geometries using VSEPR rules.
Build and minimize simple molecules to illustrate VSEPR geometry.
- For organic-type molecules, use the MMFF94 forcefield.
examples: methane, water, ammonia, etc.
- For octahedral-based geometries, use the UFF forcefield which is optimized for all elements.
examples: , , , etc.
- Try even 7, 8, or 9 atoms around a central metal - how do the VSEPR rules extend beyond octahedral molecules?
- Geometries derived from the trigonal bipyramidal geometry are not currently reliable.
- When using the Draw tool, you may wish to uncheck the “Adjust Hydrogens” box.